St. George 1 Holme Rovers 1sts 3

Richard Brook | 16/09/2018

Before the game Ben Pearson the manager made three big decisions as in playing a 4-4-2 formation, playing Eddy Atkinson in the centre of defence and giving one of the youngest players Josh Brook the captains armbands and at the end of the game I am glad to say that all of this worked well with the team winning their first game of the season. Normally the centre of midfield dictate the pace of the game but today it was our back four and also if they compacted the game or expanded it. With all back four players comfortable on the ball they at times played along their 18 yard line so creating space for our midfielders to find space and collect the ball or even bringing the ball out of defence themselves with midfielders automatically filling in for them, great team work. When called for the team pressed up to the half way line and pressed the St George players when they had possession and Nick Cage did this brilliantly which resulted in him getting the first goal. After this it was one way traffic with our players one on one with the goalkeeper and been too honest for their own good when been fouled in the penalty area but stopping on their feet. The second half started in the same vein as the first. Sam Jefferson whipped in a free kick which was missed by all and went in at the far post. At this point Holme were cruising at 2-0 but unfortunately Brad Delves headed into his own goal [ I was informed after the game that Brad had been poorly the night before and was suffering dehydration and had been hallucinating during the game]. At long last Holme did get a penalty but Danny Shaw's spot kick was saved and in the scramble to clear the ball Danny suffered a horrific nose injury. Mark Burke came on as a sub and used his experience to hold up the ball upfront and just before the end of the game Sam Jefferson coolly slotted the ball home to secure a well deserved three points. The MOM went to Tom Clark for his tenacious work in midfield but the main positive point was the attitude and discipline of the team no more so than Nick Cage who was kicked all over the place and had some close offside decisions go against him but glad to say Nick controlled his emotions and made St George pay the price. Well done to all associated with the 1st team. Next Saturday sees the team at Home to Reckitts Reserves who have won both of their league games comfortable.

New comment