Holme Rovers u12 (2) - Howden AFC u12 Heat (3)

U12 Match Report - 14th September | 18/09/2019

Following last week’s victory over Goole,Rovers came into this game full of confidence.
A glorious late Summer day and a visit from local rivals brought a healthy attendance to this derby.
Rovers started on the front foot, Josh Hinch coming close with a great header from a dangerous corner and Buddy Dunham narrowly missing the target from distance. Both sides did not flinch from a tackle and the midfield tussle was combative to say the least.
Rovers continued to press and the chances piled up. Josh again went close from a corner, Marley Bayram forced a good save from the keeper and Harry Goodwin just failed to connect with Buddy’s cross.
The defence of Oliver Wood and Sam Kirby dealt with Howden’s infrequent incursions into Rover’s half and Billy Wilson was a spectator.
Unfortunately football is a cruel game and on 26 minutes Howden took the lead with a well taken shot into the bottom corner. Two minutes later and Howden took full advantage of a fortuitous free kick to double their lead with a fine far post header.
Half Time
Holme Rovers u12’s 0
Howden AFC u12’s Heat 2

Manager Ben tinkered with the team at half time introducing Harvey Sedman, Ethan Ashley and James O’Driscoll.
A fired up Rovers continued to lay siege to Howden’s goal and within 3 minutes they had a goal back, Logan Cox powering home Harvey’s corner. Rovers could sense a comeback and only misfortune and some fine goalkeeping prevented Harvey, Josh and Marley from equalising. Will Pearson then rifled in a free kick from all of 25 yards which just went wide. Rovers were to regret these misses as in the 48th minute Howden broke and scored their third goal after some indecision in Holme’s defence.
Down but not out Rovers returned to dominating the contest, driven on by some full blooded tackling by Logan.
In the 49th minute Harvey capped off an impressive display by pulling a goal back to set up a tense finale.
Despite late pressure the final whistle came to the relief of the Howden bench.
Despite the result this was a gutsy performance by Rovers and one to inspire confidence for the season ahead.
On to Pontefract

New comment